Looking to get your yoga teacher training certification online? You’re in luck! Yoga studios are making it easier than ever to get your YTT certification online, rather than in-person.
Can Yoga Teacher Training Be Done Online? Yes, yoga teacher training can be done online. Many yoga studios are now offering their yoga teacher certification courses online, rather than in-person at a studio. This can be super helpful for people who have a busy schedule or are looking for a more affordable option.
Getting Yoga Teacher Training Certified Online
Whether you do the certification course online, or in-person, you will receive the same exact certification. That said, you’ll want to make sure you do your research before signing up for just any online yoga teacher training (YTT) certification course.
What’s The Difference Between Online And In-Person YTT?
Before we dive into online YTT certification courses, let’s first look at how they compare to in-person.
The very first thing to know, is that both online and in-person YTT certifications are treated equally. When a yoga teacher receives their yoga certification, it does not specify if the certification was completed online or in-person.
The main differences between online and in-person YTT are:
- Price – Online will always be more affordable than in-person. This is because there is lower overhead associated with an online course, so those savings get passed on to you. Online YTT courses typically come with a no questions asked, money back guarantee as well.
- Pace – Online courses are completely self-paced so you can complete the training as fast or as slow as you need. In-person courses follow a set schedule.
- Location – Online courses allow you to complete the training anywhere in the world, whereas in-person courses are at a designated location. Sometimes in-person courses have destination locations.
- Hands-On – Online courses are generally pre-recorded, but offer tons of live support. In-person courses will always be the more hands-on option, but that comes at a cost.
Now that you know the differences between online and in-person YTT, let’s dive a bit deeper into the benefits of online YTT specifically.
The Benefits of An Online Yoga Teacher Training:
- Complete the training anywhere in the world – For those who don’t live near a yoga studio with YTT courses, online may be the only practical way to get your certification.
- Complete the training on any device with internet – Online courses give you the freedom to login and progress through the course on any device with internet (computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.).
- Complete the training at your own pace – Online YTT videos are typically pre-recorded, so you can watch them on your own schedule, as quickly or as slowly as needed.
- Lifetime access to the online course content – Online YTT courses typically come with lifetime access to the course content, resources, and community.
- More affordable than in-person – Because online YTT does not have the same expenses as in-person studios, you can enroll for a much lower price. Average online YTT costs around $500. Average in-person YTT costs around $2,000.
- Refund Policy – Because online YTT has lower overhead costs per student, they are typically able to offer a money back guarantee. This is typically not the case for in-person courses.
Which Yoga Teacher Training Certification Is Best?
When most people think of becoming a certified yoga teacher, they may think that all yoga certifications are the same. However, there are actually 3 main types of yoga teacher training certification courses: 200-hour, 300-hour, and 500-hour (all of which can be done online or in-person).
200 hour YTT is the minimum training required to start teaching a yoga class. If you’re just beginning your yoga journey, this is the training for you. Once you complete the training you’ll be able to teach private classes, group classes, and even corporate clients in studios, gyms, retreats, and clinical settings at the 200 hour level.
300 hour YTT is a more advanced training that requires completion of a 200 hour YTT prior to enrolling. Once you complete the 300 hour YTT, you’ll be able to teach anywhere at the 500 hour level.
500 hour YTT is combination of the 200 hour and 300 hour YTT courses. Usually it’s offered at a discounted rate if you know you want to pursue it in advance.
If you are considering doing any of the above certifications online, I can highly recommend My Vinyasa Practice. They are a yoga studio based in Austin, TX that offers one of the best Online YTT courses out there. The instructor, Michelle, has been practicing yoga for nearly 20 years, and really takes care of her students. They are known for their low price, exceptional customer service, and 30-day money back guarantee.
How Long Does It Take To Get Yoga Certified Online?
On average it takes about 3 months to complete a 200 hour yoga teacher training certification course. You can complete the training in as little as 8-10 weeks if you work at a fast pace, but rushing through the course isn’t always best. Remember, the YTT course is just as much for your own personal learning, as it is for achieving the certification itself.
When it comes to getting your yoga teacher training certification, you can choose to do it online or in-person. Both of these certifications will be treated equally, however online courses tend to be more popular because they are more affordable, you can complete them at your own pace, and from the comfort of your own home.
There are a number of online YTT courses out there, but finding a professional one can be a bit of a challenge. Personally, I had a great experience with My Vinyasa Practice, and would absolutely recommend them. They have one of the lowest prices, excellent customer service and live support, high quality audio and video, and a 30-day money back guarantee.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who Should Do Online Yoga Teacher Training?
Whether you want to make a full on career with your YTT certification, or just want to deepen your practice, the knowledge you gain and the people you meet along your training journey is absolutely worth it.
Can You Teach Yoga Without A Certification?
In order to teach yoga at a yoga studio, a minimum of a 200 hour yoga certification is required.
Do Yoga Teachers With Higher Certifications Make More Money?
Yes, yoga teachers with higher yoga certifications are typically paid more. Yoga teachers with a 500 hour certification are usually more sought after because of their experience level.